Thursday, October 7, 2010

If and When

Getting sick here has never been an "if" question, but a "when?" Now, as I have a splitting headache and the beginnings of a sore throat (though possibly owing to my vain attempts to keep my classroom noise level down to a low roar) I fear the "when?" might be coming earlier than I expected. Two other teachers are already sick, and I know even my usually stalwart immune system won't be able to keep up for long as my students keep coming to my desk with runny noses.

Besides the threat of illness today was pretty good. We had a blast in 1st grade running around the room counting things and my second graders were particularly attentive today. If only the same could be said for 3rd grade who, try as I might, could not understand what "notes" are and how we use them in writing. As always, we will work on it again tomorrow.

When I finished teaching, I got to be the student for awhile. Nana and I were finally able to sync schedules and we continued our Georgian lessons. She has got to be one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met. She's always smiling at me and taking me by the hand to lead me from one thing to the next. Today she told me (actually she told Mariana, who translated) that she loves teaching me, as I am clever compared to all of her other students. I still maintain that it's only my age...I have more focus and desire to learn than her middle schoolers, which is something that's come about with age. In any event it made me happy to know that my eagerness to learn is matched by her willingness to teach me.

Now, I think some tea and cookies are just the ticket before an early bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment